Wednesday, December 16, 2009

TV's Explanatory Power (?)

Well, hello there! (I'm looking for a font that I like, so expect to see some different ones in the coming days.) Ok, so the movies. TV. Consistently addicting. The actual experience of TV, at least, is uncomfortable--slumped on a couch, eyes looking at a bright light, mind completely numbed. But for some reason, there's this nagging feeling I get anytime I think that maybe I should turn off the TV. And I'm not an avid watcher!

If you know me well, you know that I love Grey's Anatomy. I have just spent the last 3 to 3 1/2 hours of my life watching it with some friends. Even though watching so much of a story that takes place solely in a hospital (hopital in French, isn't that a great word? "Hoe-pee-tahl" So fun to say. Anyway...) makes me antsy and makes me feel like I'm a patient myself, I had trouble getting up from the couch. I didn't want to give up on the story, even though I've seen it all before, even though I know all the characters inside and out. So why is that? What is it about TV that keeps us glued? For me, I think it's the possibility that it holds, the vicariousness. As regards possibility: it's like, maybe I could be that girl with all the love drama and who's on top of it enough to be living her dream. As regards vicariousness: it's a way for me to be that girl! Also, there's another aspect to TV watching: it's a way to relate, a way to connect with people going through similar life circumstances or feeling the same way about something. A TV show explains what we're feeling, or more like what we may be thinking and not sure of how to express. At least, that's what Grey's Anatomy does for me. ...that's actually about all I can say about TV, really. It's the only show I watch on a regular basis...so, I'm not sure why I picked this topic. Whatevs.

Two things as far as understanding oneself/one's feelings through TV: 1) if you want to know who I am, Meredith Grey is a good guide. A thought-full worrier and a person who has a lot to say when the occasion arises, but otherwise pretty solid and subdued. 2) watch "Prelude to a Kiss." I am nearly identical to Meg Ryan's character, except I want kids.

What about you, reader? Who are you most like from TV? Who most acts like who you perceive yourself to be? It's an interesting question, and while it's not life changing, it is a fun one to answer.

Sleep tight, don't let those bed bugs bite. B

5 comments:

  1. Now I notice that I used the same font from the last post! Ah well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i find myself most similar to carson daly from TRL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, Bianca! i'll be following your updates-- i'm excited to read your future posts!

    ReplyDelete