Thursday, February 18, 2010

Tumbling

In my Music History class we were listening to a sacred motet from the medieval ages, layers of pure voices which spun sunbeams. I had this surge of melancholy, prickling my skin. Suddenly, an image popped into my head, an image of all this feeling seeping joyously out of my skin. It was purple and green, Mardi Gras-colored. My body was laying in grass and the feelings were just leaving me, running over the soil like a stream. I was smiling. My eyes were closed. There was sparkling light all around me. And the image, to me, seemed to be what peace would look like. I can't describe it perfectly, but it was a strong enough image that I had to write about. And it got me thinking too...

What would it be like if, for one day, all of our insides, our every thought and feeling could just tumble out of us? A literal outpouring of joy and love and fear, the colors of our souls soaking the earth in their crazy vibrancy?

God, what relief that would be. Too many ideas and uncompleted thoughts and passions, all just pulsing there, incessantly swirling. How heavy our insides are, carrying so much baggage, always.

It seems to me that our bodies are much too small a home for all the things we're capable of feeling. It seems pretty absurd to me that a thin layer of skin should contain so much. I think we all need a day where there is no containment, only fluidity and openness, outpouring upon outpouring. A day where the constraints of this world are irrelevant and forgotten. Not even missed.

That's the kind of day I'm talking about. You know?

No comments:

Post a Comment