Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Donegal Breeze

I haven't written in ages and ages but I have plenty to say. It's been floating around for a while but I just now have finally let go of caring about the fact that I'm not sure where this piece will take me. Instead, I've decided to just write it. This is mostly attributable to the good mood I'm in, that familiar ocean swell in my heart, when the world has become my one good thing; I see that everything is as much mine as I claim it to be, that I'm free as I let myself be. World, world, world...of blooms and light, of laughing with my father, of lying in bed talking, of all that has not yet come.

But this moment is scary, too, for it's not truly mine (is it?) I keep myself detached from it even as I start feeling lighthearted. I've never been that person who could see the world around her and engage in it simultaneously. So, here I am, seeing the possibilities, and completely afraid of submerging myself. I am full. But I am also stranded.

There's so much more to say, and I've lost it now. It's like every time I'm with you. My mind beats ever onward away, away from what my heart was hoping. Neither seems enough: mind, heart. Neither quite does it for me. Where is the moment that's mine alone, that's always enough and always what it should have been?

And it's funny because I didn't foresee this becoming what it has when I commenced; I thought it would stay with the sea swells and sunbeams. I've become frustrated, though. It's not enough. This feeling of elation is not enough. I need confidence in the elation, I need to know it can change my life. I need to let it change my life and I need to move on.

I'm the neediest creature of all: I expect life to give me the things I expect from it, and am completely bewildered when that's exactly what it does.

I named this piece "Donegal Breeze" after a song by Mary Black. The chorus goes like this:
With your dark hair in the Donegal breeze,
Bringing me softly and sweetly to the ground,
But, there's madness in the sycamore trees,
And there's no salvation to be found.
It reminds me of my own life, and I suspect a bit of yours, too. Overwhelmed by the gentle moments, just as in awe of the uncontrollable ones, ultimately left with neither. So response-less in the face of such wonder.

We do not know the way and maybe never will.

3 comments:


  1. I like this. I don't know why. I feel like I should think that this is a tad pretentious and needlessly despairing. However, I don't. This bugs me a bit. I suppose it might have to do with me identifying with the spirit in which this was written. Or at least identifying with the spirit in which I think it was written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, do say more, madame...
    what spirit did you think it was written in?
    and why do you think you like it?

    Also, it's a huge fear of mine that most of what I write comes off as pretentious, so I definitely get that...it's like everything I write comes from some place of superior "in-tunement" with the world, although I don't honestly think I have that claim. Gotta find my true writer voice, I think. Really, blogs are awfully pretentious little shits in the grand scheme of things, anyway. But. Here I am. Ha!

    Also: I AM needlessly despairing! And I do mean needlessly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the mood is something like the existential mood that comes over everyone once in a while. But that's not quite right, is it?
    I guess I understand the feelings expressed here. Waiting for the rest of your life to start, to move on, but afraid of what comes next, knowing that what comes next is just more. It's this huge ocean of stuff that never really stops. And you drown in it and you don't drown, because there's driftwood and rafts out there. Some pieces are bigger and hardier, but it's all really the same. And why should you stay on one? Because you are afraid of the journey in the open waters to the next. Comfort zones are so comforting [funny how that works ;)].
    Hmm...now I just sound like I'm spewing out metaphors in a floundering attempt to express myself. It's messy.

    "There's so much more to say, and I've lost it now. It's like every time I'm with you. My mind beats ever onward away, away from what my heart was hoping. Neither seems enough: mind, heart. Neither quite does it for me. Where is the moment that's mine alone, that's always enough and always what it should have been?"
    I think I want to find that perfect place of not too much and not too little. And every time I think I've found it, it just slips away and jumps away.
    Additionally, I feel like my mind works somewhat like this. Thinking of one thing and then jumping and flying onto the next without being able to fully express the first.

    URH! Now I'm being pretentious.
    See what you've done to me?

    ReplyDelete