Thursday, March 25, 2010

Marshallito and the Law of Love

So, Marshall. You want to pinch me, eh?
You want to give me a dragon bite?
Want to see how much it hurts me?
You're aching for my face to twist?

Oh, and you're pretty stunned that your older cousin doesn't even flinch when you go in for the kill?
So, you're going to squeeze my skin even harder between your fingers, eyes expectant?
And still, nada?

(Let me tell you, that was some damn good acting on my part.)

And you know what?
I'm going to let you.
Because you're seven and because I love you so much
And because I really, really miss you.

And so that now I have a tiny brown bruise
On my forearm that I can look at and smile,
A bruise that no matter where I am,
Reminds that it's true that you exist,
A sweet albeit wild little boy.
One look and I'm home again with you and sunshine.

Maybe being a pushover has its perks.

No comments:

Post a Comment